Oh, yes. American Fangs are really-truly one of the best damn things going in this city right now — they’re a rock band, to be sure, equal parts punk, alt-rock, and metal, with an added streetwise edge that makes them pretty freaking unique. They’re raw, heavy, and loud, and best of all, they just don’t give a fuck. American Fangs shows are a roof-punching free-for-all, with the band and the crowd going nuts.
Of course, none of that would matter at all if the songs themselves weren’t pretty badass — catchy and smart and melodic right where it needs to be. There’s only one release so far, a self-titled EP that includes number-one track “Le Kick,” which is my personal pick for Best Song of 2009, but I’ve got my fingers crossed for more. They’re reportedly working on a full-length, but I’m not sure when it’ll be out in the field, so to speak, particularly since guitarist Shelby “Schultz” Hohl left the band to focus on Free Press Houston-related stuff.
In the meantime, they’ve been making some big, big waves, playing the Afro-punk festival this year up in Brooklyn and getting some good ink. If these boys can stick around a while longer, they’re headed for good, good things, I swear to God.
I should mention, by the way, that these guys have a ridiculous level of H-town band history behind ’em, although I’ve been sworn to secrecy as to which bands and whatnot they’ve been involved in — the main idea is to focus less on the past and more on the present. Which is pretty damn impressive on its own…
- Live: Catch Fever/American Fangs/Featherface/BLSHS
- Think Like A Photographer: FPSF 2013, Looking Through the Viewfinder
- Let The Bass Drop: Surviving FPSF 2013, Day One
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 1: Steve’s Magical Mix Tape + American Fangs (Rev’d!) + Valens + Del Tha Funky Homosapien + The Invincible Czars + More
- American Fangs, American Fangs
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 1: Purple Rain Party + American Fangs + For The Community V + Night Beds (MP3!) + The 1975 + Circa Paleo + More
- FPSF 2013 Rundown, Pt. 2: Mord Fustang + Baroness + John Michael Rouchell + Arctic Monkeys + Devin The Dude + Cat Power + UZOY + More
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 2: The Wheel Workers + Mike Doughty + Coheed and Cambria + American Fangs + Drew Ireland Benefit + More
- FPSF 2013 Lineup, Announced This AM
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 1: American Fangs + Hell City Kings + Hello Chief + B.E. Godfrey + Frenetic After Dark + Lincoln Durham + More
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 1: Buxton + Jealous Creatures + The 71’s + American Fangs + Los Skarnales + Reagan Youth + More
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 3: American Fangs + Born Again Virgins + Giant Battle Monster + Square and Compass + More
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 2(?): Fishbone + American Fangs + Pretty Lights + Custom Car Fest + More
- WE LIKE THINGS 2011: A ridiculously-late look at what was cool last year.
- Yr. Weekend, Pt. 2: the last place you look + Adelaine + AThousandColours + Suffers + Sergio Trevino + More